Colorado Graduated Drivers Licensing Laws for Teen Drivers
In 1999 Colorado passed laws and began a public awareness campaign focusing on improving teen driving and lowering their accident rates. These laws were designed to give teen
drivers more (supervised) experience behind the wheel and eliminating destractions while they master this very important skill.
In General Graduated Driver License laws mandate the following additional Rules for Teen Drivers:
Drivers with a Instruction Permit
- Must be supervised by an adult while driving for at least 6 months while under an instruction permit
- Must log at least 50 hours behind the wheel, 10 hours must be nighttime driving
- Limit passengers to family members only
Licensed Drivers under the age of 18
- Can only have 1 passenger in the car under the age of 21
- No more than 1 passenger in the front seat
- For the 1st year licensed, the driver cannot be behind the wheel from midnight to 5:00 am
- No Cell Use at all while behing the wheel, no calls – no textings
All other rules of the road apply as well like wearing a seat belt, no drinking before or during driving, must carry liability insurance, obey traffic rules, etc.
Colorodo Dept of Transporation website confirms that these laws have reduced traffic fatalities involving youthful drivers by 50% over the past 20 years still they were inacted.
Denver West Insurance Brokers is located in downtown Golden, Colorado. We insure parents and their teen drivers all over the state and serve the communities of Denver, Lakewood, Littleton, Morrison, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Evergreen, Westminster. Give us a call at 303-960-5290 and speak to one of our licensed agents about your insurance needs.
Note: Data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and should not be considered professional advice.
Denver West Insurance Brokers makes no representations as to accuracy, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.