After a major catastrophe where many homes are damaged or destroyed in a neighborhood, a swarm of contractors will canvas the area looking to sign people up for repairs to the home.
But be very careful and do your homework before committing to anyone or signing a contact for repairs. This is the document that will, or will not hold up in a court of law if repairs go
sour and/or your contractor doesn't follow through on your repairs.
Follow the steps below to help facilitate in finding a general contractor that will get the job done, in a timely manner and to your specifications.
- Contact your insurance company first. Confirm the damage is covered by your insurance and have them give you an estimated cost of repair and detail on what would be covered.
- Interview multiple reputable, licensed and well established GC's and get their opinion on repairs needed, estimated time when they can start repairs etc.
- Check their references with BBB and the State Attorney General's office. Search the GC name and contractors First/Last name on line for complaints
- Have an attorney review the contract to be signed (conflict with contractors gets expensive, better to pay money to an attorney upfront)
- Makes sure the GC is 'bonded' and can prove General Liability,Products Completed Insurance coverage, Work Comp and that every employee and/or independant contractor they hire also have the proper insurance coverage.
- Make sure the contract has a 'finish' date and penalties if the contractor does not complete the project on time
- Include in the contract a procedure for change orders and how to calculate the additional cost
Denver West Insurance Brokers is located in downtown Golden, Colorado. We have clients all over the state and serve the communities of Denver, Lakewood, Littleton, Morrison, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Evergreen, Westminster. Give us a call at 303-960-5290 and speak to one of our licensed agents about your insurance needs.
Note: Data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and should not be considered professional advice. Denver West Insurance Brokers makes no representations as to accuracy, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.