Here are some interesting and practical uses for two of our most common household products: Baking soda & vinegar. When combined these two formidable ingredients put forth a powerful chemical reaction that is perfect for cleaning and clearing even the most stubborn of clogs. Harness their strength to restore a stinky kitchen to squeaky clean, too!
How to Unclog a Drain with Baking Soda & Vinegar
· Pour a pot of boiling hot water down the drain.
· Dump in about ½ cup of baking soda and let it sit for a few minutes.
· Mix 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of very hot water together, then pour down the sink on top of the baking soda.
· Cover this with a drain plug (to contain the reaction below the surface of the drain).
· Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
· Flush it through with another pot of boiling water.
This works like a charm on plugged drains because the combination will loosen up any grimy sludge that has accumulated at the base of the drain. The chemical explosion it produces jolts everything loose, then the final rinse at the end washes away any remaining residue.
Garbage Disposal Magic
Tossing citrus peels into the garbage disposal from time-to-time will help to keep it fresh smelling, but when someone sticks an onion down there and forgets it, a little extra help might be called for. Freshen things up by:
· Running hot water through the disposal for about a minute.
· Pouring in about 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain.
· Flipping the disposal on for just a second to whirl the soda inside, then leaving it alone for 10 to 15 minutes.
· Follow this up with one cup of vinegar and watch the bubbles erupt from the drain.
· Rinse everything through one last time with very hot water, then run the disposal for another five seconds or so.
You’ll find that the baking soda and hot water combination will deodorize things quite nicely. And the vinegar volcano will dislodge any particles of food remaining in the crevices, which prevents further unpleasant odors.
Remember: When you’re working with the BS / V combo, you shouldn’t ever mix them, then store for future use and expect them to work. You’ll get your best results when you follow the steps noted here.
At Denver West Insurance Brokers we hear all kinds of household horror stories from our property owners. With luck YOUR drains are sweet-smelling and flowing freely. If we can be of support with your homeowners or renters insurance questions, by all means give us a call. We’re here to help!